1/1 Photo of Botswanan Chicken Groundnut Stew
1 hr 20 mins
This traditional recipe from Botswana is for a classic stew of chicken cooked in a tomato, peanut butter and chili sauce. Adapted for a dinner featuring African-inspired foods.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare the sauce by combining the sugar, chilli flakes, ginger, peanut butter and tomato paste in a bowl.
- 2Slowly stir-in the water a little at a time until the sauce is smooth.
- 3Add the oil to a large pan and fry the chopped onion until translucent. Add the chicken and continue frying until the chicken has begun to brown before adding the bell pepper. (Can add a chopped and seeded hot pepper if you like a little more heat!).
- 4Continue cooking until the chicken is nicely browned all over.
- 5Pour-in the peanut sauce and diced tomatoes and stir well.
- 6Cover and reduce the heat to low simmer.
- 7Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Taste and add salt if needed.
- 8Serve over rice or rice balls.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Botswanan Chicken Groundnut Stew
Serving Size: 1 (394 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 509.8
- Calories from Fat 310
- Total Fat 34.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 78.9 mg
- Sodium 494.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 18.3 g
- Protein 27.3 g