Recipe by Mama__B
This is a very flavourful, quick and easy Indian beef stew. Every time we've had this, we talk about how we have to have it again soon.
Top Review by Elmotoo
OOOH YUM! How big are the pieces of ginger root supposed to be? I used about 1/4c minced. 1 lb of beef barely fed the 3 of us, so I will double the recipe next time. Delicious, so flavorful..smells sooo good while cooking & easy to make. Thank you! Made for PAC '07.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 pieces fresh gingerroot (minced)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 15 curry leaves
- 1 lb boned lean beef (cut in 1-inch cubes)
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 fresh hot green chili pepper (finely sliced with seed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add oil to a large pan and set over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, put in the ginger, garlic and curry leaves (they may spit if they're fresh). Stir. When garlic just starts to brown, add the meat. Stir one or twice and turn heat to medium low.
- Add the garam masala, cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper, green chili and salt. Stir. Add 3/4 cup water, cover pan and cook gently for 50 minutes before uncovering and boiling down the liquid. Stir in lots of freshly ground black pepper and lemon juice.