Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a traditional Dutch recipe. It's a rich, buttery, dense cake. The key to making it, is keep the ingredients, and also your hands, cold while working the dough.
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 125 g confectioners' sugar
- 225 g very cold hard butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Butter a 8" springform pan.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift flour and sugar in a bowl.
- Add butter, salt, and vanilla.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and knead lightly with a cool hand or utensil until it holds together.
- Don't work too much.
- It needs to stay cold.
- (This works well in the food processor- then I use frozen butter) Press mixture quickly into bottom of spring form pan.
- Brush the top with the egg.
- Place the pan just below the middle of the oven and bake about 30 minutes or until it's a golden brown.
- Cool in the pan, release the spring, and remove cake.
- Serve in thin slices- it is rich!
A good dense cake, must try!!!
I thought I would try it since I have grown up eating and making it with almond extract/paste. It was nice but is no match to the real traditional verson with the almond. We Dutchies LOVE our Almonds!
Wow, this is a dleicious cake, and quite easy to make. I did use a food prcessor so it would not get warm, and I was sooo afraid I was heating it up too much LOL! It turned out perfecr, we really enjoyed this, thanks PanNan!