Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
In '1,000 Mexican Recipes' by Marge Poore
Top Review by Lola2760
FINALLY an albondigas recipe that's AUTHENTIC!! Everyone uses cilantro in their recipes for This meatball and IT"S MINT that's used!!!!The other ingredients are all correct & the prep too!! It is a WONDERFUL ,delicious meatball, prepared correctly.! Thank you for posting the ONLY recipe I've seen on here that uses mint , not cilantro. Cilantro has it's place but not in albondigas.many people mistakenly believe they can be used interchangably one for the other. NOT TRUE!!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped of fresh mint
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup prepared canned tomato sauce
- fresh salsa
- 4 cups canned beef broth, diluted with 1/2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients together except the tomato sauce, salsa, and broth.
- With clean hands work mixture together.
- Add just enough tomato sauce to hold mixture together, making it moist but firm.
- Form into small meatballs, 1 1/2 inch in diameter.
- In a saucepan, bring the broth to a boil.
- Decrease heat to med-low and add the meatballs.
- Simmer about 25 minutes to completely cook the meatballs.
- Remove the meatballs to a serving dish.
- Place a bowl of fresh salsa on the side; serve with toothpicks.