Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Boston's North End section is where you will find the most wonderful Italian restaurants, bakeries, Italian delicatessens, and shops. And, if you are lucky enough, like I am, to have Italian friends living in the North End, when visiting them, it is like taking a stroll into an era long gone. Everything is homemade, all from scratch, and the smell from the kitchen is pure Heaven. And, there is always enough food to feed an army!!! This is one of those simple little recipes that I asked for and my friends' mother was kind enough to give to me. MANGIA!!!!!
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar, depending on taste (buy the best quality balsamic vinegar that you can afford, although any one will do)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 -3 teaspoons chopped fresh Italian parsley (also known as flat parsley. If using dried Italian parsley, only 1 teaspoon...fresh is better!)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- slivers pecorino romano cheese or parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Mix all the ingredients, except the cheese, together in a small bowl. Stir to mix thoroughly. Pour into several dipping dishes and top with the cheese slivers.
- Serve with a loaf (or two) of good, crusty Italian bread, sliced, for dipping.