Recipe by Expat in Holland
This is a lovely squash dish that was given to me by my friend Lisa in Boston. You may easily substitute zucchini for yellow squash. It can be put together ahead of time, and baked before serving. It is one of my dad's favorite squash dishes that I have made.
Top Review by ~Nimz~
I made this as directed and thought twice about it. I think I would have enjoyed this more if I had sprinkled the bread crumbs on top of the final casserole and drizzled it with butter. It turned out rather thick and I think the breadcrumbs distracted from the flavor of the fresh squash when mixed together. Flavors were excellent. Thanks for sharing. Made for I Recommend Tag Game :)
- 2 lbs yellow squash, sliced
- 1 white onion, sliced thinly
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian spices
Directions See How It's Made
- Blanch squash and onion in boiling water for about 5 minutes. Drain well.
- In bowl combine cream of mushroom soup, breadcrumbs, butter, garlic powder, parsley, and italian seasonings. Mix well.
- Add squash, onions, cheddar cheese and stir well.
- Pour into greased casserole dish.
- Bake, in preheated 350F oven, for 30-35 minutes.