1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 25 mins
Posted per BIL's request.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the cod in a large glass bowl, add enough cold water to cover; soak at least 12 hours, changing water twice; drain and pat dry.
- 2In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat; add in the onion and garlic; stir 1 minute.
- 3Add in about 2 tablespoons flour and stir for 1 minute.
- 4Add in broth and whisk until the mixture is smooth; add in half-and-half; season with pepper and continue to whisk until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes; then remove from heat.
- 5Preheat oven to 350°; grease a 1 to 1 ½ quart casserole.
- 6Cut the cod into ¼-inch strips; dredge in remaining flour, tapping off excess.
- 7In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat; add the cod, cook 1 minute on each side; drain on paper towels.
- 8Peel the potatoes, cut into thin discs, and arrange half the discs over the bottom of the casserole.
- 9Layer half the cod over the potatoes and pour half the sauce over the top.
- 10Repeat with the remaining potatoes, cod, and sauce.
- 11Sprinkle cheese over the top; cover and bake 1 hour.
- 12Uncover and bake until nicely browned, about 25 minutes.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Boston Salt Cod, Potato, and Onion Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (432 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 648.6
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 142.4 mg
- Sodium 4464.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 49.8 g