This is fairly close to Boston Market's Squash Casserole. I've only had it a few times but its gooood. You can make this recipe to freeze ahead for OAMC. You'll be happy to have it in the freezer, I promise! :)
- 4 1⁄2 cups zucchini, diced
- 4 1⁄2 cups yellow squash, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) box Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Prepare Jiffy Mix as directed on the box, set aside to cool.
- Place zucchini and yellow squash in a large saucepan and add just enough of water to cover.
- Cook on medium low heat just until tender, remove from heat.
- Drain squash, reserve one cup of water for casserole.
- On medium low temperature place all of the butter in large sauce pan and sauté the onions until the onions turn clear, add salt, pepper, thyme, and parsley.
- Add chicken bouillon cubes and garlic to onions, stir.
- Add drained squash and diced cheese, stir.
- Crumble corn bread in squash and pour the reserved cup of water and mix well.
- Place squash mixture in a 13x11" baking pan that has been sprayed with a non-stick spray.
- *This is the point I freeze mine - can also be frozen in 2 small pans if desired. Then all you have to do is thaw when ready and cook!
- Cover casserole and place in a preheated oven at 350°F.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Remove cover the last 20 minutes of baking time.
- Lower Fat content by reducing amount of butter used by half.