Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is fairly close to Boston Market's Squash Casserole. I've only had it a few times but its gooood. You can make this recipe to freeze ahead for OAMC. You'll be happy to have it in the freezer, I promise! :)
- 4 1⁄2 cups zucchini, diced
- 4 1⁄2 cups yellow squash, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) box Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Prepare Jiffy Mix as directed on the box, set aside to cool.
- Place zucchini and yellow squash in a large saucepan and add just enough of water to cover.
- Cook on medium low heat just until tender, remove from heat.
- Drain squash, reserve one cup of water for casserole.
- On medium low temperature place all of the butter in large sauce pan and sauté the onions until the onions turn clear, add salt, pepper, thyme, and parsley.
- Add chicken bouillon cubes and garlic to onions, stir.
- Add drained squash and diced cheese, stir.
- Crumble corn bread in squash and pour the reserved cup of water and mix well.
- Place squash mixture in a 13x11" baking pan that has been sprayed with a non-stick spray.
- *This is the point I freeze mine - can also be frozen in 2 small pans if desired. Then all you have to do is thaw when ready and cook!
- Cover casserole and place in a preheated oven at 350°F.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Remove cover the last 20 minutes of baking time.
- Lower Fat content by reducing amount of butter used by half.
OH...MY...GOD!! I made this for a some friends about two weeks ago (just as an experiment). It was the first time I'd tried the recipe so I was a little skeptical. Lucky for me...it was a HUGE success! I even had to make "to-go" boxes because everyone loved it so much. Everyone wanted to take some home...even the folks who claim to dislike squash. My boyfriend was disappointed to find that I had given so many "to-go" boxes...he didn't have any left. We've had it FOUR times since!! This recipe tastes exactly like Boston Market Squash Casserole (if not better). I was almost tempted to use shredded chesse but the cubes of cheddar cheese are like finding little drops of heaven. Also, crumbling the Jiffy Corn Muffin in the casserole (instead of my usual Seasoned bread crumbs) seemed to have made all the difference. I will NEVER go back to my old Squash Casserole recipe again!!! I only have one suggestion: The cheese already produces a little bit of grease so, if you have a sensitive stomach, do not use the entire 3/4 cup (a stick and a half) of butter. Just use about 1/3 cup.
Excellent!! No need to cook squash/zucchini prior to assembling dish, cooks perfectly in oven. Half butter, omit salt completely, used shredded cheese. Wonderful!
This is amazing! I halved it and it was just perfect. Cut the butter to 2.5 tablespoons and used unsalted. I cooked the squash and cornbread the night before and chopped everything else to make it easier for a weeknight. Better than Boston Market, less grease.