Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Copykat.com (http://www.copykat.com)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground chuck
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3⁄4 cup drained diced tomato
- 3⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Mix all ingredients together in first list until well blended.
- Place in a lightly greased Bread Pan and bake at 350 for 3/4hr.
- Remove from oven and drain excess grease from pan.
- Mix tomato sauce and sugar together and pour over the meatloaf and place back in the oven to finish baking until done about 1/2 hr depending on the oven.
I was really surprised at how easy this was. A great recipe! for the tomatoes I had to use italian style stewed tomatoes, and drained the juice to get the tomato sauce for the topping mixture. And I used brown sugar rather than white. Gave it a nice slightly sweet sauce. Very moist and no need for additional spices. I thought surely it was going to need something..but no. Great copycat.
This is a great meatloaf recipe, definitely a keeper! I added diced green and red bell pepper to mine and baked it in my iron skillet. My family said it was the best meatloaf that I had ever made. I believe the iron skillet made a difference.
A perfectly acceptable meatloaf recipe.