Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Copykat.com (http://www.copykat.com)
- 6 ounces macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1 cup american processed cheese (or 1/4 lb.)
- Cook pasta according to instructions, drain and set aside.
- To make cheese sauce, melt butter in a saucepan add onion flour.
- Allow this to thicken, and when thickened slowly add the milk.
- When all milk is added, you may add the cheese.
- For this Velveeta, is really the best, but you can use another brand.
- Add salt, pepper, and dry mustard.
- When sauce has thickened, add pasta.
- Lightly butter a casserole dish, and add pasta mixture to casserole dish.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
Very Good!! Never thought to add onion to a mac and cheese recipe but it gives it the extra Umphf!! I doubled the recipe to make sure there was enough for all. Turns out I was the only one who really liked it. MORE FOR ME!!!
Actually to get the right taste you might also try adding Bleu cheese in with the processed cheese. This will ensure a closer taste to the real Boston Market mac and cheese.
Good macaroni! The first time I made this, I cut back on the amount of sauce because it looked like way too much to me. Shouldn't have done that -- it's not too much by the time it's baked. So how much macaroni is 6 oz anyway? I used a cup and 2/3 and that seemed about right.