Recipe by Realtor by day, Chef by night
I love salads! I love Boston lettuce, too. Give this one a try. It's refreshing and different. If you can, make the dressing several hours ahead or the day before so the flavors can blend.
Top Review by K9 Owned
It is seriously hot and muggy. No one feels much like cooking or eating so salads are a big deal right now. This one is just lovely. Light, refreshing and very tasty! I'll be using this combination many times I am sure. The dressing is very similar to one I have been making for ages using either lemon, apple or orange juice. For those who want more of an orange flavour may I suggest using frozen concentrate instead of juice? That's what I generally do. Adding the zest will also increase the orangey flavour. This is a lovely dressing in any event. Thanks for posting!
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped shallots
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 large head boston lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (5 cups)
- 1 cup grated carrot (1 carrot)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, rinsed and cut in half
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh tarragon (optional) or 2 tablespoons chives (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare dressing: Whisk mayonnaise and mustard in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in orange juice until smooth. Stir in shallot. Season with pepper.
- To prepare salad: Divide lettuce among 4 plates and scatter carrot and tomatoes on top. Drizzle the dressing over the salads and sprinkle with tarragon (or chives), if desired. Serve immediately.