Recipe by pesce_gurl
This is from a Famous Brand Names cookbook that my mama gave me. I don't eat any meat, with the exception of seafood, so I skip the bacon and use imitation chicken broth or vegetable broth as the base. Enjoy!
Top Review by dmwebb2
I used this recipe and added lobster, crab, scallops, shrimp and flounder. Absolutely delicious! We had this for Christmas Eve and I'm glad I doubled the recipe. My family was still talking about the chowder the next day!
- 4 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup unsifted flour
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken flavor instant bouillon or 6 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups pared cubed potatoes
- 1 lb fish fillets, fresh or 1 lb frozen fish fillet, thawed, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento
Directions See How It's Made
- In large kettle or Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp; remove and crumble.
- In drippings, cook celery, onion and garlic until tender.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually add water and bouillon, stirring until smooth and well blended.
- Bring to a boil and add potatoes.
- Reduce heat and cook 10 minutes.
- Stir in fish; cook 15 minutes.
- Add cream and pimiento; heat through. DO NOT BOIL.
- Garnish with bacon.
- Refrigerate leftovers.