Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
A delicious layered dessert that's creamy and, yes, even sinful!!!
Make and share this Boston Creme Trifle recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (20 ounce) package yellow cake mix with pudding
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- Heat oven to 350º. Grease and lightly flour 13x9 pan. Mix cake using first 4 ingredients. Bake according to cake mix box. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, combine flour, sugar and salt; mix well.
- Gradually stir in milk until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs; stir in 1/4 cup hot mixture into eggs.
- Gradually stir egg mixture into hot misture.
- Cook over low heat until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Place plastic wrap directly on custard; refrigerate until cool.
- In large bowl, combine remaining ingredients; beat until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble, break one third of cake into small pieces and place in trifle dish (or large clear glass bowl). Spoon 1/3 of custard over cake pieces. Spoon 1/3 of topping over custard layer.
- Repeat, making 3 layers.
- Garnish with chocolate curls if desired.
decadent richness but still light enough for a summer meal. We loved the flavor combination and I loved the ease of starting with a cake mix. I grated some 85% dark chocolate over each layer which gave it the depth of f=chocolate we love. Made as a Family Pick for ZWT6 Looney Spoon Phoodies.
I made this for our Father's Day dessert!! Although I haven't tasted it since I assembled it, I did taste all the separate parts and it is delicious!! I made the cake and custard the day before and then put it all together with the whipped topping (that I made today), so very easy to get assembled today. Thanks for sharing the recipe Charmie!! Made for ZWT6. ETA: I also sprinkled some mini semi-sweet chocolate chips with the layering. Update: We so enjoyed this cake for our Father's Day dessert. The next day my son came home and ate a helping before leaving to get his girlfriend and go to the college. Next thing I know, my DS and his girlfriend were back here both having a helpings of it before going to sign up for classes and she also loved this dessert, huge hit!!!
Wow what a terrific dessert! A perfect ending to our Father's Day celebration. It tastes so light after a heavy grilled meal. I absolutely love the whipped topping and the custard came out just perfect! Love this dessert and know I"ll be making it often for potlucks and family gatherings. I did take some liberty and used some mini chocolate chips as a topping as I did not have a block of chocolate for the curls. Thanks for sharing this truly wonderful dessert! Made for ZWT6 Zwizzle Chicks.