Recipe by HokiesMom
A half-dozen cupcake recipe full of the flavor a Boston Cream pie but in a to-go version. These little cakes mix up easily and filling them just requires a small decorator tip and a plastic bag. Top it with a simple ganache topping and you have a perfect gem of a dessert for a small gathering! I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Top Review by diner524
Oh so yummy!!! Nice and moist from the pudding and loved the chocolate ganache topping!!! I also loved that it only made 6 cupcakes, with the kids both gone most of the time, this is the perfect amount!! I used a jello pudding mix which of course had a bunch of leftovers that I now add some extra with the cupcake. Thanks for sharing the recipe Mel!! Made for 123 Tag Game.
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened (or may use butter flavor shortening)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
- 2⁄3 cup vanilla pudding, already prepared your favorite way
- 1⁄2 cup semisweet chocolate morsel
- 1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy then add egg and beat well.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper lined muffin cups half full.
- Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (If using a dark coated pan reduce oven temperature to 325F).
- Cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from muffin pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare your vanilla pudding (your favorite method/recipe) and chill till proper consistency of pudding.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag and insert a very small tip into the corner (from the inside of the bag to hold the tip).
- Fill bag with prepared pudding.
- Push the tip through the top of the cupcake about halfway down and fill each cupcake with pudding.
- Place the chocolate chips in a small bowl.
- In a small saucepan, bring whipping cream just to a boil (do not scorch) then pour over the chocolate chips and whisk until smooth.
- Cool, stirring occasionally to room temperature or until ganache thickens slightly (about 10 minutes).
- Spoon over cupcakes and let stand until set.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.