Recipe by Cullinaryjudge
As requested, I have not tried this one yet. From Company's Coming Desserts.
- 2 8 inch white cake layers
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons water or 4 teaspoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Have cake layers ready.
- For filling: Heat milk (or light cream can be used for a richer taste) in heavy saucepan over medium heat to boiling.
- Measure flour and sugar into small bowl.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Stir in egg and vanilla.
- Pour into milk, stirring while it boils and thickens.
- Cool well.
- Glaze: Beat all ingredients together adding a bir more liquid if necessary to make a barely pourable glaze.
- To assemble, spread custard between cake layers.
- Spread glaze over top only.
- If you like, allow a bit to dribble over sides.
- Serve with whipped cream if desired.
- Chill at least 1 hour before serving.