Recipe by internetnut
I have not tried this recipe. I got it from a recipe site a couple of years ago.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a round pan 9 x 1-1/2 inches.
- Beat all the ingredients except the Cream Filling and Chocolate Glaze in large
- bowl on low speed, scraping bowl constantly, 30 seconds. Beat on high speed,
- scraping bowl occasionally, 3 minutes.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake until wooden pick
- inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool
- Split cake into 2 layers.
- Fill with the Cream Filling on the bottom layer of the cake. Cover with top the layer of cake. Spread the top of the cake with the Chocolate Glaze.
- Refrigerate cake.
- Cream Filling:
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in 2 quart saucepan; stir in milk gradually.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils; boil and
- stir 1 minutes.
- Stir at least half of the hot mixture gradually into egg yolks.
- Blend into hot mixture in saucepan; boil and stir 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- Chocolate Glaze:.
- Heat chocolate chips, margarine or butter and light corn syrup in 1 quart saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly
- until chips melt; cool slightly.