Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 55 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Another yummy recipe I scooped from a friend. If you don't like the chocolate-espresso bottom, don't separate and add, just place the batter into the pan.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate bits
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso, dissolved in
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- Pastry Cream:.
- Heat milk in a saucepan over medium until it begins to steam and bubbles form around the edges. Remove milk from burner.
- whisk sugar, cornstarch and salt together in a bowl. Add the eggs and whisk until smooth, then gradually whisk in 1/2 the hot milk.
- Pour the egg milk mixture into the remaining milk in the pan and return pan to burner. Cook custard over medium heat, whisking often until thick. Boil 1 minute, whisking constantly to eliminate the starchy taste of the flour and to thicken further.
- Turn off heat, stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted. transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic, pressing it onto the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Chill before using.
- Chocolate Glaze:.
- Boil cream and corn syrup in a saucepan. Off heat, whisk in chocolate until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 325; line 16 muffin cups with paper liners and coat with non-stick spray.
- Whisk dry flour, baking power and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream sugar and butter in a bowl with a hand mixer on medium speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in 1/2 the flour mixture, then add buttermilk and vanilla; mix until combined. Add remaining flour and mix until blended. Transfer 2 cups batter to a small bowl.
- Fold cocoa and espresso mixture into cups batter until incorporated. Scoop a heaping tablespoon chocolate batter into the bottom of each liner and smooth to cover bottom. Top with vanilla batter, filling liners to the top, then bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool cupcakes in pan for 20 minutes tranfer to a rack, then when COMPLETELY cool, assembly cupcakes by cutting top off filling with scoop of pastry cream, placing top back on and top with 2 T of chocolate glaze.