Recipe by Marie
The cream filling is in the middle and is baked right in with the cake which starts with a mix. A wonderful chocolate glaze tops this delicious dessert. Very quick and easy to make, but prepare at least 2 hours ahead as it needs to be refrigerated before serving.
Top Review by ilikependleton
I made this cake in an attempt to recreate a fond food memory of my husband's. His mother made something called a "Boston Cream Bundt Cake" which had a baked pudding center like this recipe. We both thought it was good although I couldn't find packaged pudding in the size called for. I used a large and small Jello pudding box along with the directed 4 cups of milk and it turned out great. I really liked the sweet crust and pudding filling but the cake layer was a little more dense than I prefer. If I made it again I'd figure out how to make this layer a little lighter. All in all it was something that everybody liked. The icing layer was perfect and wasn't absorbed as mentioned by Jessy's Girl and all other layers were perfect for me although I did let my pudding cool before putting it on the first layer and my cake cooled completely before I put the icing on.
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) packagesregular vanilla pudding (not instant)
- 4 cups milk
- 1 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate square
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In 13x9" pan, combine 2 cups dry cake mix and melted butter; mix until crumbly.
- Press into pan.
- In large saucepan, combine pudding mix and milk, and cook as directed on pudding package.
- Pour pudding over cake mix in pan.
- Combine rest of dry cake mix, eggs and water until moistened and beat as directed on cake package.
- Pour cake mixture over pudding.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- Remove cake from oven to a rack and cool.
- In small saucepan, combine first 3 glaze ingredients, heating until melted.
- Beat in sugar and vanilla until smooth. Immediately spread over cake.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours before cutting.