Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 large egg yolks, lightly beat
- 3 ounces chocolate squares
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- Prepare cake layers; heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 9" round cake pans.
- In large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed, beat 1/4 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, eggs, 2/3 cup milk, 1 tsp vanilla, baking powder, and flour about 4 minutes until thoroughly blended and smooth.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans; bake 30 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center of each layer comes out clean.
- Remove layers to wire racks to cool completely.
- Prepare egg custard: In 2 qt saucepan, stir 2/3 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt until thoroughly mixed; slowly stir in 2 1/2 cups milk until smooth.
- Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook 1 minute until mixture boils rapidly and thickens.
- Remove from heat; very slowly pour lightly beaten egg yolks into hot mixture, stirring rapidly and constantly to blend and keep smooth.
- Return mixture to low heat; cook 1 minute longer.
- Do not allow to boil.
- Remove from heat; stir in 1 tbsp vanilla.
- Cool completely, stirring frequently.
- Prepare chocolate glaze: In small heavy saucepan over very low heat, melt chocolate and 1 tbsp butter, stirring frequently until blended and smooth.
- Remove from heat; stir in confectioners sugar and 1/4 cup milk until blended and smooth.
- Keep warm, covered.
- To assemble: Using sharp serrated knife, carefully cut cooled layers in half horizontally.
- Place one layer, cut side up, on serving platter; spread with 1/3 cooled custard.
- Repeat with remaining cake layers and custard, ending with cake layer, cut side down.
- Spoon warm glaze over top of cake,letting mixture drip down sides.
This recipe was not very good. The custard came out runny and the cake came
out like dry pancakes. Sorry.