Recipe by HeatherFeather
This recipe is not your typical Boston Brown Bread - besides getting baked in a bread machine, it contains some very untraditional ingredients. Expect this to be more of a sandwich bread than a tea bread. The recipe originally came from "The Best Lowfat, No Sugar Bread Machine Cookbook Ever" by Madge Rosenberg. According to the author, the soy sauce replaces the typical molasses, thereby lowering the sugar content while still providing the traditional dark color. Posted by request.
Top Review by Xtal
I used Both Figs and Rasins. I used Honey Dijon Salad dressing instead of Dijon mustard. I used Light Soy Sauce. This was extremely easy to make, and smelled wonderful while baking. This bread is fantastic!
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 2⁄3 cups bread flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons soy sauce (low sodium is fine)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄3 cup dried figs or 1⁄3 cup raisins, minced
- 1 cup water (plus 2 Tbsp)