Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Posted by requeast From McCalls Cooking School cookbook. Brown bread in a can.
Make and share this Boston Brown Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup dark molasses
- 1 cup dark raisins
- boiling water
- Grease well two 1 lb sized coffee cans In large bowl sift together cornmeal, flour, salt and baking soda In small bowl, combine milk, buttermilk and dark molasses Gradually add milk mixture to flour mixture.
- Beat with spoon just until combined.
- Stir in rasins.
- Spoon dough into greased coffee cans until two thirds full Tie pieces of heavy foil tightly over the top of cans Place cans on rack in a deep pot Add boiling water to pot until the water comes half way up the sides of the cans Cover pot and steam for 2 1/2 to 3 hours adding water as needed Cool bread on rack.
I love Boston Brown Bread, and this is so easy to make. I used a steamed pudding mold since I have one for Christmas pudding. The pudding was done in two hours, but I had to take out about a cup before steaming since there was too much for the mold. Thanks for sharing!