Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This recipe is from a local restaurant chain, Eat-n-Park; they no longer make the bread, but have posted the recipe on their site for patrons to enjoy.
- Generously grease 2 (1 pound) coffee cans, or 3 (1 lb.) vegetable or fruit cans, or two vegetable juice cans (pineapple or V8 work well); set aside. (The cans should only have one end removed.).
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Add raisins and walnuts, if desired. Toss to evenly coat the raisins and nuts with the flour mixture.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oil, water, egg, vanilla, sugar, and molasses. Mix well.
- Stir the wet mixture into the flour mixture only until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn into prepared cans, filling evenly. Cover cans tightly with 2 layers of foil; secure with string or rubber band.
- Cook with one of the two following methods:.
- #1: Place a rack in a large kettle or pot. Place the cans on rack. Place kettle/pot over low heat. Add boiling water until halfway up cans. Cover; bring water to a gentle boil. Steam bread 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Add more boiling water during steaming, if necessary.
- #2: Place a rack in a large kettle or pot. Place cans on the rack. Add boiling water to the kettle/pot and cover with a lid. Place the kettle in a 325° oven and steam for 2 hours and 45 minutes, replacing boiling water as needed.
- Carefully remove bread from cans. Cool on racks at least 30 minutes before slicing.