2 hrs 30 mins
Boston Brown Bread
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Remove labels from two empty 21-ounce cans (the kind that pie filling or fruit comes in); wash cans.
- 2Thoroughly grease cans.
- 3Cut out 2 circles of waxed paper and place one in the bottom of each can.
- 4Put raisins in a bowl; add hot water.
- 5Let stand 15 to 30 minutes to plump; drain well and pat dry with paper towels.
- 6Combine rye flour, cornmeal, all-purpose flour, baking soda and salt in large bowl; stir until well mixed.
- 7In another bowl, combine molasses, brown sugar and warm buttermilk; stir to mix.
- 8Pour buttermilk mixture into flour mixture; mix well.
- 9Fold in raisins until evenly distributed.
- 10Divide batter evenly between the two prepared cans.
- 11Cover each can with greased aluminum foil and tie foil around the top with cotton string (or dental floss).
- 12Place a wire rack in the bottom of a large kettle with a lid.
- 13Place cans on rack.
- 14Pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the cans.
- 15Cover kettle with lid; steam cans at a slow boil at least 2 hours, adding more water as needed.
- 16Bread is done when a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 17Remove cans from water and remove the aluminum foil.
- 18Let bread cool to lukewarm before removing it from the cans.
- 19If bread resists coming out, run a thin knife blade around the inside of the can and gently shake out the bread.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Boston Brown Bread
Serving Size: 1 (729 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 646.0
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 4.9 mg
- Sodium 1377.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 146.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 64.5 g
- Protein 13.2 g