Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is typically 'steamed' but found this recipe in GooseBerry Patch Comfort and Joy cookbook, baked. *UPDATE* I doubled the recipe and used small (gift size) foil pans...I made 10 and baked for 30 minutes. This is very very similar to the Boston Brown Bread we use to buy in the cans!
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup molasses
- Put raisins into a small bow; cover with boiling water and let stand 15 minutes.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl; mix well and set aside.
- Drain raisins and pat dry; combine with buttermilk and molasses.
- Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until blended.
- Pour into a greased 9X5 loaf pan; bake for one hour and 350 degrees.