2 hrs 30 mins
Karen From Colorado's Note:
This brown bread is easily mixed and fun to make in coffee cans since it is steamed instead of baked.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix together milk and vinegar.
- 2Let mixture set at room temp for 15 minutes to allow the milk to sour.
- 3In a seperate bowl, spoon mix dry ingredients together.
- 4Add molasses and raisins to the milk.
- 5Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients.
- 6Beat until blended.
- 7Divide batter between 2 well buttered 1 lb coffee cans or other cans of 5 cup capacity.
- 8Cover with dome shaped rounds of aluminum foil, buttered on the down side.
- 9Secure with rubber bands.
- 10Stand cans on a rack in a large kettle.
- 11Add enough water to reach 3/4 of the way up the cans but not enough to float them.
- 12Cover kettle and simmer for 2 hours to steam the bread.
- 13Remove bread from kettle and let stand on a wire rack until cool enough to handle.
- 14Remove bread from the cans and serve warm.
- 15To re-heat bread, wrap in aluminum foil, stand on rack in kettle, add hot water to level below the rack and simmer for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Boston Brown Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1222.4
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 34.1 mg
- Sodium 1128.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 261.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.9 g
- Sugars 90.8 g
- Protein 28.1 g