Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This brown bread is easily mixed and fun to make in coffee cans since it is steamed instead of baked.
- Mix together milk and vinegar.
- Let mixture set at room temp for 15 minutes to allow the milk to sour.
- In a seperate bowl, spoon mix dry ingredients together.
- Add molasses and raisins to the milk.
- Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients.
- Beat until blended.
- Divide batter between 2 well buttered 1 lb coffee cans or other cans of 5 cup capacity.
- Cover with dome shaped rounds of aluminum foil, buttered on the down side.
- Secure with rubber bands.
- Stand cans on a rack in a large kettle.
- Add enough water to reach 3/4 of the way up the cans but not enough to float them.
- Cover kettle and simmer for 2 hours to steam the bread.
- Remove bread from kettle and let stand on a wire rack until cool enough to handle.
- Remove bread from the cans and serve warm.
- To re-heat bread, wrap in aluminum foil, stand on rack in kettle, add hot water to level below the rack and simmer for 30 minutes.