1/3 Photos of Boston Brown Bread
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Wonderful bread! Although tradition dictates that this bread should be served with Boston Bake Beans it is also great with a bowl of soup, a salad or with a main dish. You will need 3 10-ounce coffee cans to bake this bread, although it can also be baked in 8X4 loaf pans (but then you will not have the beautiful rounds that make this bread special). The loaves can be frozen for up to 1 month. This recipe is from Massachusetts' infamous baker René Becker of the Hi-Rise Bread Company. I have only made it with fragrant organic flours, but I am sure non organic flours would work as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/3 cups organic rye flour
- 1 1/4 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups organic whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup organic oat flour
- 3/4 cup coarse stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried currants (4 ounces) or 1 cup dried blueberries (4 ounces)
- 1 quart milk
- 3/4 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1Remove one of your oven racks and preheat oven to 300°.
- 2Generously butter three 10-ounce coffee cans. In an extra large mixing bowl combine all the flours. Stir in cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, salt and dried fruit.
- 3In a separate bowl, whisk the milk with the molasses. Slowly add to the dry ingredients, stirring until the batter is smooth and combined.
- 4Pour the batter into the greased coffee cans. Stand the cans in the center of the oven and bake for about 1 1/2 hours, or until the loaves are springy to the touch. Place cans on wire rack and let cool for about 10 minutes, then unmold. Slice bread into rounds and serve.
- 5When the loaves have reached room temperature, they can be wrapped in wax paper and placed in a thick plastic bag and stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Boston Brown Bread
Serving Size: 1 (2096 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1406.8
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 45.5 mg
- Sodium 2422.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 289.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 26.5 g
- Sugars 80.9 g
- Protein 37.3 g