1/4 Photos of Boston Black Bean Chili
1 hr 10 mins
Julie B's Hive's Note:
Different from the other chilis I've had. Strong in flavor but very good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 red bell peppers, red bell
- 3 yellow bell peppers, yellow
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano (Mexican, preferably)
- olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup jalapeno pepper, slices chopped (jarred is fine)
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (16 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes with juice
- 3 (16 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 2 cups strong brewed coffee
- 1Place the red and yellow fresh peppers on the grill and cook until charred. (Can be charred on the stovetop if you have a gas stove.) With tongs, place them in a paper bag to sweat, about 3 minutes. Remove the peppers from the bags, allow to cool, and remove the skins. Core and seed, then cut them into bite-size pieces, about 1/2 inch each, and set aside in a bowl.
- 2In a large fry pan, toast the dried spices and a good teaspoon of salt over medium heat just for a few minutes or until the spices become fragrant. Remove the pan from the heat immediately and pour the toasted spices into a bowl and set aside.
- 3In a large 5-quart pot, pour enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pot and heat up the oil. Add the chopped onions and the jalapeños and heat until they're all softened; add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the garlic is transparent, just a few minutes. Add the tomatoes and black beans, (and their juices), and the spice mixture, and stir well. Cover the pot and lower the heat slightly and cook for 15 minutes.
- 4While the chili is cooking brew the coffee then add after the 15 minutes; stir well, then cook the chili another 10 more minutes. Taste, and adjust seasonings as necessary. Remove from heat and start serving it up!
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Boston Black Bean Chili
Serving Size: 1 (581 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 491.3
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 406.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 31.8 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 29.5 g