Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A tasty and lovely salad presentation
Make and share this Boston Bibb Salad With Roasted Acorn Squash, Pecans, Feta and Wa recipe from Food.com.
For the Warm Bacon-Brown Sugar Vinaigrette
- 118.29 ml smoked bacon, diced, cooked until crisp, drained (about 6 slices)
- 118.29 ml olive oil
- 22.18 ml balsamic vinegar
- 59.14 ml dark brown sugar (I use brown sugar Splenda Blend)
- 7.39 ml Dijon mustard
- 29.58 ml shallots, minced
- 0.59 ml salt
- 0.59 ml fresh ground black pepper
For the Salad
- 1 large acorn squash, quartered and seeded
- 1 large onion, peeled and trimmed
- 22.18 ml olive oil
- 3 head bibb lettuce
- 177.44 ml black-eyed peas, canned and drained
- 177.44 ml pecans, roasted
- 170.09 g feta cheese, crumbled
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place the acorn squash and onion on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and rub with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast until the squash is just tender and lightly browned, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove squash to a plate to cool and return the onion to the oven until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the onion goes in easily, about 20 minutes longer.
- Remove and set aside to cool completely along with the squash.
- When cooled, remove the skin from the squash and cut into large dice.
- Cut the onion into julienne and reserve separately.
- Cut each head of Bibb lettuce in half and place each half cut side up onto a large salad or dinner plate.
- Press lightly on the lettuce to flatten and open up the leaves a bit. Divide the diced squash, julienned onion, black eye peas, pecans and feta cheese among the plates, drizzle the warm vinaigrette over the tops of the salads, season lightly with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
- Makes 6 large salads.
- For the Bacon-Brown Sugar Vinaigrette:.
- Combine all the vinaigrette ingredients in a small saucepan and heat gently until sugar is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Serve warm over salad. Yields 1 cup.