1/2 Photos of Boston Banana Cream Pie
This is heavenly! It's completely homemade-2 layer cake with banana custard filling and chocolate glaze. I got this recipe from a friend who got it from the Pillsbury Bake-off. This special dessert takes a little effort but is gorgeous and delectable!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 bananas, cut in 1/4 ", slices
- 1Grease bottom of a 9" round pan.
- 2Line with wax paper and grease again.
- 3Blend all cake ingredients till moist; beat 2 minutes on medium.
- 4Pour batter into pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 5Cool 5 minutes, then invert on wire rack.
- 6Remove wax paper carefully and cool completely.
- 7With a long thin knife, split cake in half to get 2 thin layers.
- 8Meanwhile make filling: Combine in a saucepan the sugar, flour and salt.
- 9Slowly stir in the milk.
- 10Cook on medium; stirring constantly.
- 11Bring to a boil for 1 minute, then temper the egg by mixing about a 1/4 cup of the hot filling into the egg.
- 12Add the egg mixture back into the pan; cook till bubbly, stirring constantly.
- 13Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- 14Cool, stirring occasionally.
- 15Spread half the filling on bottom layer.
- 16Arrange the banana slices on filling, then cover bananas with remaining filling.
- 17Top with 2nd layer, cut side down.
- 18For glaze: In small saucepan, cook chocolate and butter on low heat till melted.
- 19Stir in sugar, vanilla, salt and milk for spreading consistency.
- 20Spread on top of cake, letting some drizzle down sides.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Boston Banana Cream Pie
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.2
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 53.3 mg
- Sodium 246.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 39.8 g
- Protein 5.4 g