Recipe by Kaarin
This is heavenly! It's completely homemade-2 layer cake with banana custard filling and chocolate glaze. I got this recipe from a friend who got it from the Pillsbury Bake-off. This special dessert takes a little effort but is gorgeous and delectable!!!
Top Review by lolablitz
This was good, but we felt like the cake was lacking in something. The custard and bananas were delicious though! I might make again to see if the mistake was mine for the cake's flavor.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 bananas, cut in 1/4 ", slices
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease bottom of a 9" round pan.
- Line with wax paper and grease again.
- Blend all cake ingredients till moist; beat 2 minutes on medium.
- Pour batter into pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes, then invert on wire rack.
- Remove wax paper carefully and cool completely.
- With a long thin knife, split cake in half to get 2 thin layers.
- Meanwhile make filling: Combine in a saucepan the sugar, flour and salt.
- Slowly stir in the milk.
- Cook on medium; stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil for 1 minute, then temper the egg by mixing about a 1/4 cup of the hot filling into the egg.
- Add the egg mixture back into the pan; cook till bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Cool, stirring occasionally.
- Spread half the filling on bottom layer.
- Arrange the banana slices on filling, then cover bananas with remaining filling.
- Top with 2nd layer, cut side down.
- For glaze: In small saucepan, cook chocolate and butter on low heat till melted.
- Stir in sugar, vanilla, salt and milk for spreading consistency.
- Spread on top of cake, letting some drizzle down sides.