Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Lentils are so versatile!
- 2 1⁄3 cups lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 5 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Add lentils to water, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender but still remain whole.
- Drain any excess water from the lentils.
- Stir the remaining ingredients in with the lentils.
- Turn the mixture out into an ovenproof casserole and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
I have made this recipe several times- just delicious! Hubby doesn't like baked beans or lentils, so I make it for myself. Today I cut the recipe in half and used a mixture of lentils and dry barley. Why not? Worked great and still delicious!
Delcious for those who like bean recipes--mine turned out yummy with some alterations: I cooked lentils in water with a little salt free chicken bouillion thrown in (to add a little extra flavor to the lentils)--had to substitute 16 oz crushed tomatoes as I had no tomato sauce/ added 1 tsp garlic powder as I had no liquid smoke-- and it delcious this way. May try it using tomato sauce and liquid smoke but hard to think it could come out better. This will be in my "favorites" from now on-- healthy AND delicious-- really tastes like "Boston baked beans"-- just made with lentils!
These were very good.