Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Looking at the recipes on here a lot call for items that aren't commonly used in the UK. This version uses readily available ingredients and is great on wholegrain toast with some cheddar on.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 200 g tomatoes
- 150 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 400 g mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil and fry the onion over a low heat for 5 minutes. Add celery and garlic and fry for another couple of minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stock and soy. Turn up the heat until it boils. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add sugar, mustard and beans and cook for a further 5 mins until the beans are hot.
- Toast the bread, add the parsley to the pan and stir well. Serve a dollop of beans on each slice of toast.