1/1 Photo of Boston Baked Beans in Bean Pot - Durgin-Park
6 hrs 30 mins
Nana Lee's Note:
PLEASE DO not ADD ANYTHING OR CHANGE ANYTHING ABOUT THIS RECIPE. To do so means you will not be tasting The Durgin Park recipe but your own variation of it. NOT FAIR. Sorry. I appreciate that some of you have tried this recipe with your own additions but please, you are NOT reviewing MY/Durgin Park's recipe but your own! These, of course, are the ultimate Boston Baked Beans! Please take into account they need to soak overnight. You will need a 2 1/2-quart bean pot or covered casserole. Recipe By: Durgin-Park Restaurant, Boston, MA
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1NOTE: Use navy beans, California pea beans, or small white beans.
- 2Soak beans overnight.
- 3In the morning, preheat oven to 325°F Place the baking soda in a Dutch oven and fill half way with water.
- 4Bring to a boil, add the beans & boil for 10 minutes.
- 5Drain beans in a colander and run cold water through them. Set aside.
- 6Dice the salt pork (available in the bacon section of the grocery store)into 1-inch squares.
- 7Put half of the salt pork on the bottom of the bean pot, along with the onion.
- 8Put beans in the pot.
- 9Put the remaining salt pork on top of the beans.
- 10Mix the sugar, molasses, mustard, salt and pepper with 3 cups of hot water and pour over the beans.
- 11Cover pot with lid and place the pot into the preheated oven.
- 12Bake for 6 hours.
- 13Check pot periodically to make sure the amount of liquid is okay.
- 14Add water to the beans slowly as needed to keep them moist; DO NOT FLOOD THEM. Just "top them up".
- 15Remove the pot from the oven and serve.
- 16NOTE: The Durgin-Park, a Boston restaurant whose origins date back to the American Revolution, is famous for its Boston baked beans, baked Indian pudding and apple pan dowdy. Durgin-Park cook Tommy Ryan has prepared this recipe at the restaurant for the past 37 years.
- 17Durgin-Park serves 1,000 diners on an average Saturday evening. The waitresses have a reputation for their long memories: the second time you come in, you get the same thing you ordered the first time--unless you speak fast.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Boston Baked Beans in Bean Pot - Durgin-Park
Serving Size: 1 (909 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 540.2
- Calories from Fat 244
- Total Fat 27.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 27.8 mg
- Sodium 893.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.0 g
- Sugars 18.9 g
- Protein 16.2 g