Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Slow cooked baked beans are great to bring to pot lucks. Recipe source: Early American Recipes. Recipe printed for a request for things to make with salt pork. Overnight soaking isn't included in prep time.
- Soak the beans overnight in water.
- In the morning drain beans well and pick through discarding bad beans.
- Put in large pot and cover beans with water and boil beans until the skins split when you blow on them (30- 60 minutes after water boils).
- Divide salt pork into two pieces.
- Slash salt pork pieces deeply several times and place in the bottom of a large bean pot or casserole.
- Pour in the drained beans.
- Mix together remaining ingredients (molasses, salt and mustard).
- Add mixture to beans with enough hot water to cover.
- Cover and bake at 300-degrees F for 6-8 hours, checking often and adding water as needed.
These were OK. but a little flat. I don't knoe if it's traditional (and I expect it isn't) but some minced onion and garlic would really add some flavour to this. The beans were perfectly cooked, though - I used my crockpot on low for 8 hours. No extra liquid was needed in the crockpot.