10 hrs 20 mins
Galley Wench's Note:
If you want rich and creamy baked beans like grandma use to make, you need to do a little more than just dump them in a slow cooker and forget about them! To perk up the flavor after slow cooking, add a bit more molasses, mustard and vinegar. Recipe from Cook's Country!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb navy beans, picked over and soaked in cold water to 8 to 12 hours
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 ounces salt pork, rind removed
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons mild molasses (do not use robust or blackstrap)
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups boild water
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1Drain beans and transfer to a large Dutch oven.
- 2Add 8 cups water, baking soda, and bay leaves.
- 3Bring to boil over medium-high heat, skimming off any foam that rises to the top.
- 4Boil 15 minutes.
- 5Drain beans and transfer to slow cooker, discarding bay leaves.
- 6While beans are cooking in Dutch oven, score fatty side of salt portk and cut into 2 pieces.
- 7Place scored side down in medium non-stick skillet over medium heat and cook until fat is rendered, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 8Turn salt pork over, add onions and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- 9Tranfer to slow cooker.
- 10Stir in 1/4 cup molasses, brown sugar and boiling water into slow cooker.
- 11To help retain the heat near the bottom, cover beans with a piece of aluminum foil, then cover the slow cooker with the lid.
- 12Cook on Low for 10 to 12 hours (on high 5-6 hours); until beans are tender and creamy.
- 13Turn off the slow cooker and remove lid and foil.
- 14Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons molasses, mustard and vingear and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 15Cover slow cooker with lid and let beans sit until sauce is slightly thickened; 15 to 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Boston Baked Beans
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 498.2
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 24.3 mg
- Sodium 888.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.4 g
- Sugars 26.6 g
- Protein 11.1 g