7 hrs 30 mins
Jo Ann L's Note:
As with any other dish, there are varying schools of thought on Boston Baked Beans. There's your bacon vs. salt pork, your molasses vs. maple syrup, etc. This is my mother's recipe, which I ate all through my childhood, so to me this is how BBB should taste. Live dangerously -- make these once just the way the recipe says before you start fiddling with 'em.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash the beans and pick out any bad ones.
- 2Put beans in a 3- or 4-quart pot and cover well with water.
- 3Simmer (NOT boil) for about an hour; check occasionally to be sure water doesn't cook away.
- 4Drain beans and rinse.
- 5Return to pot.
- 6Mix together remaining ingredients (except the salt pork) and stir into beans, together with enough water to cover beans well.
- 7Put beans into a stoneware pot of some kind. A real beanpot, the kind with the two little handles and the narrow neck, is best. Otherwise, any stoneware pot that holds about 3 quarts and has a well-fitting cover will do. They will not taste as good baked in metal, or even pyrex.
- 8Cut the salt pork into two or three pieces and add to the pot; push pieces down into the beans somewhat.
- 9Bake at 300 degrees for 6 to 8 hours.
- 10Check occasionally, and if top is dry, add more water.
- 11If you want to, you can put some hot dogs or rope sausage such as Hillshire Farms beef sausage in on top of the beans for the last hour or so of baking. The meat cooks at the same time as the beans, and picks up their flavor.
- 12The right thing to serve with these beans is, of course, Boston Brown Bread, for which I have noticed a couple of recipes here on the Zaar.
- 13There are two ways to cut down on the time a bit. One is to simmer the beans about 20 minutes longer and then bake them for only about 3 hours. Also, after simmering, you can put the beans in a crockpot. That takes longer—figure about 18 hours to be sure that the beans won't be crunchy—but they can be left unattended.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Boston Baked Beans
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 204.9
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 9.7 mg
- Sodium 586.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 4.8 g