1/1 Photo of Boston Baked Beans
7 hrs 15 mins
I don't know where I got this recipe that I've been using for years but it is definitely a man pleaser! I think that a ham bone gives the best flavour but will use an 8 oz piece of salt pork when necessary.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare beans: Rinse well and discard any stones or shriveled beans.
- 2Soak beans in water in a 5 quart Dutch oven, using the overnight or quick soak method.
- 3Overnight Method: Cover each cup of dried beans with 3 cups of water; let stand for a minimum of 12 hours.
- 4Quick Soak Method: Add beans to boiling water, allowing 3 cups of water for each cup of beans, bring back to the boil and boil for 2 minutes; remove from heat, cover and leave for an hour, then cook in same water.
- 5Bring mixture to a boil, add salt, reduce heat, cover and simmer for an hour.
- 6Stir in molasses and next 3 ingredients.
- 7Stud the onion with the cloves; tuck onion & ham bone (or salt pork) into the beans.
- 8Cover and bake in a 250F oven for about 7 hours; check & stir about once an hour.
- 9Add more water to keep beans moist but not too wet OR remove lid to thicken mixture through evaporation; it all depends on your preference for thick or runny!
- 10Discard cloves, chop onion and return to mixture.
- 11Remove meat from ham bone (or cut salt pork into pieces, discarding fat) and return to mixture.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Boston Baked Beans
Serving Size: 1 (90 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 307.5
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 677.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.0 g
- Sugars 20.6 g
- Protein 14.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: