Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This recipe is the compilation of a few recipes and the result of a lot of experimentation on my part. Having finally hit the nail on the head, I just had to share!
- 16 ounces dried navy beans
- 2 quarts cold water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 8 ounces salt pork
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Rinse beans and soak overnight (or add to water in saucepan, bring to boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour).
- Add salt and soaked beans to 2 quarts water, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Drain, reserving liquid.
- Measure 2 cups of the reserved liquid and mix with molasses, brown sugar, and mustard.
- Cut salt pork in half. Score one half, grind or thinly slice remaining half.
- In bean pot combine beans, onion, and sliced salt pork.
- Pour molasses mixture over top.
- Top w/ scored salt pork.
- Bake beans in 300 degree oven for 5 to 7 hours.
- Add more liquid if needed.
- You can also do this in a crockpot, on high for 6 hours.