Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
great comfort food with brown bread and hotdogs
- 1 (1 lb) package navy beans
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork, cut in two pieces
- 1 small onion, peeled
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄3 cup molasses (Grandmothers)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Soak beans overnight in a large saucepan in 6 cups of water.
- Add baking soda.
- Heat to boiling and simmer 10 minutes.
- Drain in colander over large bowl.
- Save liquid.
- Place beans, salt pork, and onion in the bean pot.
- Add molasses, salt, sugar, dry mustard, pepper, and a cup of water.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Add enough water to cover beans.
- Cover the bean pot.
- Bake 2 hours at 300 degrees.
- Add the rest of the water and stir again.
- Bake an additional 1-1/2 hours (or until beans are tender) Uncover at least ½ hour.