1/1 Photo of Boss-Worthy Chipotle Chicken Chowder
1 hr 45 mins
Spicy chowder that's different from all the rest - why? It's the chipotle peppers and roasted corn. If you're not crazy about spices, you can start off with just a hint of the chipotle and jalapeño and add more later, if you like. This is one of our favorite recipes; I even served this to my boss and my boss' boss when they came to my home for a departmental cookout (nervy, huh?)! Adapted from a Gourmet recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large russet potato, diced into 1/4 inch cubes (baking potato, peel if you want to!)
- 3 -6 minced garlic cloves
- 1 fresh jalapeno chile, seeded and minced fine (wear rubber gloves when mincing)
- 1/2 chipotle chile, minced fine (as many as you can handle, keep the rubber gloves on to mince these!)
- 3 -6 tablespoons adobo sauce (but I scrape it out of the can the chipotles were in) (optional)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half (or regular half and half, if you can spare the calories!)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, well-drained (or 3 - 5 fresh roma tomatoes, diced)
- 2 cups fresh corn (for extra smokiness, roast the corn before adding to the chowder) or 2 cups frozen corn (for extra smokiness, roast the corn before adding to the chowder)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 diced boneless smoked chicken breasts (discard skin and fat, (or more, if you want, We smoke our own, but you can buy smoked chicken breast)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1In a 6-quart heavy pot, cook onions in oil over moderate heat, stirring until softened.
- 2Add diced potato, garlic, and jalapeño and cook stirring, 1 minute.
- 3Stir in flour, and cook over moderately low heat, stirring about 2 minutes.
- 4Whisk in 2 cups broth and half and half and bring to a boil while stirring.
- 5Add tomatoes, corn, parsley, chipotle, and chicken and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- 6Add remaining broth, if needed, to get the liquid consistency you want.
- 7Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- 8NOTE: The original recipe called for Monterey Jack cheese, and although I love cheese, I just didn't like it with this recipe, but if you want to try it with cheese, enjoy!
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Boss-Worthy Chipotle Chicken Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (363 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 286.9
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 3.0 mg
- Sodium 381.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 7.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked chicken breasts