Recipe by Ms*Bindy
An untried Moosewood recipe posted for the Zaar World Tour 2005.
Top Review by Chef Pollo
Fantastic recipe and fun to make! The veggie meatballs were very good. Nice way to use tofu for protein. We paired it with savoury couscous #221217, and steamed parsnips, carrots and pear. I didn't really love the yoghurt sauce so next time I will add a vinegarette dressing of some sort. Thank you for sharing, this recipe will be used again and again!
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 medium carrots, grated
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 cup almonds, toasted lightly and ground
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup tamari soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed, ground
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cake tofu, pressed
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 -2 teaspoon caraway seed, ground
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the onions and garlic in oil until they begin to turn golden, about 6 minutes.
- Add the carrots, salt and black pepper and continue to cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ste aside to cool.
- Mix together eggs, bread crumbs, almonds, mustard, sesame oil, and soy sauce.
- Stir in herbs and spices into bread-crumb mixture.
- Crumble the tofu into the mixture and knead it with your hands until combined.
- Drain the sauteed vegetables and stir them into the mix.
- Form about 24 balls, place them on an oiled baking sheet and bake at 350F for 30 minutes until nicely browned.
- For yogurt sauce, just mix together the ingredients.
- Heat the sauce for about 15 minutes, stirring constantly until it thickens. Be patient, and do not overheat or eggs may curdle.