1/1 Photo of Bosnian Pita (phyllo pie) with Spinach Filling
1 hr 45 mins
kristin ei's Note:
This is one of the most delicious dishes I have ever come across. It is special to me because it is my husband's favorite dish from his old country. My mother in law and his aunt, both from Bosnia, taught me how to make it, even though they do not speak much English. They even make their own dough, but making phyllo dough is very difficult and they assured me it is more than okay
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1WASH HANDS (This recipe requires you to work with the food directly with your hands).
- 2Preheat oven to 350.
- 3Wash and drain spinach.
- 4Chop spinach and put in a big glass bowl.
- 5Add salt and mix with hands.
- 6Leave the spinach to sit for about 10 minutes to allow the salt to draw out the water from the vegetable.
- 7The water in spinach will make the filling bitter so do not skip this step.
- 8Drain the spinach by either sqeezing it bit by bit with your hand over the sink or by spinning several times in a salad spinner.
- 9Transfer drained spinach into a new bowl.
- 10Add egg, and sour cream.
- 11Fold in feta and cheddar cheese.
- 12Put some olive oil in a small bowl.
- 13Grease a 9"*13" glass or metal baking pan.
- 14Take your phyllo dough sheets and lie the sheets, stacked, on a dry surface.
- 15TIP: (While adding the filling, you may wish to cover the dough with a dry towel and then a damp one to keep it from drying out or flaking) Place one sheet of dough into the pan and cut away excess.
- 16Brush with oil, using either your hands or a pastry brush.
- 17Repeat until dough is 6 or 7 layers.
- 18Add a skim of filling with hands and spread evenly.
- 19Repeat steps 16-18 until the pie reaches the top of the pan or you run out of ingredients.
- 20Just make sure you finish with the dough on top, sort of like lasagna.
- 21Place pie in the oven, uncovered, about 45 minutes.
- 22The top becomes flaky.
- 23Pour on top of the pie while it is baking, 1/4 cup sour cream blended with 0.125 cup of milk.
- 24Bake for 15 more minutes.
- 25This dish can be served warm or room temperature.
- 26It is traditionally served with a yogurt beverage which is easily replicated by mixing the plain yogurt with milk, in equal parts.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bosnian Pita (phyllo pie) with Spinach Filling
Serving Size: 1 (57 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 156.5
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 69.7 mg
- Sodium 853.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 8.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
phyllo pastry sheets