Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a yummy homey meal. This recipe usually use ground beef, however, I do not eat red meat so I use ground turkey and they come out lighter and less gready, and still delicious. You may prefer using ground beef.
- Cut the top off of the 5 bell (any color) peppers.
- Clean out the seeds.
- Set aside.
- Mix remaining ingredients and use the mixture to stuff the peppers.
- Put stuffed peppers upright in a stock pot.
- Fill the pot with water.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer until the peppers are tender and the meat and rice is cooked, about an hour.
- Serve with sour cream on the side and mashed potato (traditional accompanyments).
Yum! My husband and I enjoyed this filling dish. I took the advice from Wayne and added a tablespoon of minced garlic to the mix. I had enough for about 5 1/2 peppers, so I just over stuffed mine. I was planning to eat 2 myself because they are lean, but could only stuff in about 1 1/3! My husband thought it needed spaghetti sauce, but also admits that is how he knows stuffed peppers. Therefore, we'll serve the leftovers with spaghetti later this week!
My roommate, who is marrying a Bosnian, liked these peppers. I'm not used to boiling ground beef, but it worked.