Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I must apologize for not staying in touch these past 6 days. It's just that life got in the way, and the next thing I knew, most of the week had come and gone without any input at my end. Of course a dear friend passed away, I developed a serious infection in two of my teeth and Verizon decided to once again screw up my internet for 3 days. So I guess I do have a pretty good explanation for my absence, and a very good reason for craving comfort food, food for the soul............. especially something that's rich, satisfying and easy to prepare. The first thing that comes to mind is my Herb Crusted Chicken Pot Pie with its flaky herb crust, rich creamy sauce, garden fresh vegetables and chunks of dark and white chicken. This dish is all about comfort.........your favorite torn jeans, flannel shirt, fluffy slippers, oversized tee shirt, pj's, bathrobe, etc.......... and begs you to dig in, kick back and relax. I hope you'll agree...............
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh sage leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chilled vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 6 -7 teaspoons ice water
Chicken and Veggies and Sauce
- 2 lbs cooked chicken, portioned into bite size pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup green beans, cut in 2 inch pieces (frozen or fresh)
- 1 inch cut cubed potato
- 24 white pearl onions, peeled and left whole or 24 frozen pearl onions
- 2 cups carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces (2-3 medium carrots)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices (2 stalks)
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen. )
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
For The Sauce
- 3 cups homemade chicken stock or 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup light cream
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
For The Egg Wash
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- For The Herb Crust:.
- Blend first 5 ingredients in food processor until herbs are finely chopped. Add the butter and shortening and blend until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Transfer mixture to a large bowl, and using a fork, mix in ice water a little at a time, until dough forms moist clumps. Gather dough into ball and flatten it into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill it for 30 minutes. .
- For the Chicken Sauce and Vegetables:.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and add the garlic. Saute for 2 minutes. Add the carrots, onions, mushrooms, green beans, celery and potatoes. Saute for 5 minutes. Set aside with chicken. Wipe skillet clean. Add 6 tablespoons of butter, melt till slightly sizzling and stir in the flour to create your roux. Stir constantly until cooked and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken stock and cream, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, and stirring frequently, cook for another 10-15 minutes or until sauce reaches the consistency of very heavy cream. Stir in the poultry seasoning. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add white wine and stir thoroughly. Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
- To Assemble:.
- Preheat oven to 400'. Place chicken, sauteed veggies and peas into a 13"x9" baking dish. Pour cooled sauce over chicken and veggie mixture, and stir to incorporate. Remove dough from refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature for a few minutes. Roll out on lightly floured surface into a rectangle 15"x11". Use rolling pin to wind up the dough for transfer to the baking dish. Unwind the dough across the top of the pot pie filling. Fold overhanging dough back underneath itself so that the folded edge is flush with the lip of the baking dish. Flute the dough if desired. Combine the beaten egg yolk with the cream and brush liberally over the crust. Cut 6 - 1 inch slits in the pastry dough, starting at the left side and moving to the right, so that you have 2 on the far left, 2 in the middle and 2 on the far right side. Place pie on a foil lined baking pan and put into center of the oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until hot and bubbling. If crust should start to brown too quickly, place a sheet of foil over it for protection. .