Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is super easy Hungarian Transylvanian comfort food. Cheap, easy, and delicious. Serve this with fried eggs or sausage for a nice meal.
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons Hungarian paprika
- Heat oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Add onion, saute until transparent.
- Add peas and water. Cook for 5-10 minutes on medium.
- Whisk together milk and flour. Add to the peas. Cook until it begins to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Add seasonings and cook 5 minutes more.
- Serve with fried eggs or sausage.
I was looking for something different to try with the peas I just picked from my garden and I stumbled across this recipe. I used smoked paprika which gave a nice smokiness and a beautiful color. I had it with some garlic chicken sausage and it was a good match. This was very good and I will definitely try it again, but I felt like it was missing something. I want to try adding garlic or parmesan next time, although I think this will end up coming out very much like carbonara.
Simple and cheap. I added some diced potato too. Served with sausage and it was very filling.
Home sweet home! Great recipe. My mom used to make it and I'm heading to the kitchen too!