Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Not, one of my favorite's but my husband likes it, so here it is.
- 1 (16 ounce) canwhole beets, undrained
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Combine beets and broth in container of electric blender or food processor , process until smooth.
- Combine beet puree, sour cream, pepper, and lemon juice, stir well. Chill. Sprinkle each serving with chives.
Always wanted to try borsht and this recipe was certainly fast, easy and delicious. I used a 15 oz can of beets, beacuse that is what I had. Instead of chicken broth, I used 1 cup of water and 1 tsp of Better Than Boullion's unchicken broth, and instead of real sour cream, I used Tofutti's vegan sour cream (I only used about 3-4 tablespoons because I'm trying to save the rest for something else, but I'm sure this would be great with the full 8 oz that the recipe calls for). I didn't have chives so I used scallions. And because I like to complicate things, I added a few slices of raw onion and english cucumber and a few fresh parsley leaves to the puree. I didn't even wait for it to chill in the fridge, I ate it all in a half hour! Great recipe that I will be making again and again!