5 hrs 30 mins
André Grisell's Note:
The traditional Russian beetroot soup. Since there is a whole bird in the soup, it is most practical to make a large batch. Leftovers can be frozen. It takes a while to make, but is quite inexpensive, and of course - delicious made the right way. This way.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs oxtails
- 1 ounce fat (butter, oil, lard)
- 1 (2 lb) hen
- 1/2 lb carrot
- 1/2 lb celery
- 1/2 lb leek
- 1 large onion, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons wheat flour
- 1 lb beetroot
- 1/2 lb potato
- 1/2 lb sauerkraut or 1/2 lb white cabbage
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- black pepper, freshly ground
- bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1Put the oxtail pieces, hen, fat, half of the carrots, half of the celery, tomato puree, 2 garlic cloves and the halved onion (with peel) in a baking tray and roast in a hot oven until well browned, stirring occasionally (app. 45 min).
- 2Put everything into a stockpot together with the green part of the leek and the stems of the parsley.
- 3Cover with water and bring to a boil. Skim. Add thyme, bay leaves and peppercorns.
- 4Let simmer, covered, for 2 1/2 hours.
- 5Pick up the oxtail. Remove the meat and set aside. Return the bones to the pot and let simmer for another 1 1/2 hours.
- 6Strain the stock and remove some of the fat. Discard the hen (or use for something else).
- 7Cut the rest of the vegetables, except one beetroot, into strips.
- 8Heat the butter in the cleaned stockpot. Add the rest of the carrot, beetroot, celery, garlic, leek and flour and fry on medium heat for a few minutes.
- 9Add potato, cabbage and the stock and bring to a boil.
- 10Let simmer until the vegetables are done (approx. 15 min).
- 11Add the meat.
- 12Grate the remaining beetroot finely and mix with the vinegar.
- 13Chop parsley and dill.
- 14Add salt, black pepper and a little sugar to taste. If the soup tastes bland, enrich with bouillon cubes.
- 15Add parsley to the soup and bring to a boil.
- 16Finally, stir in the grated beetroot and vinegar. The soup will at once take on an intense purple red color. Do not boil the soup from now on.
- 17Serve hot, sprinkled with dill and a dollop of sour cream in the bowls. Dark sourdough bread and butter on the side.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Borshch Gourmet (Russian Beetroot Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 480.7
- Calories from Fat 285
- Total Fat 31.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 146.3 mg
- Sodium 414.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 24.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: