Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs 18 mins
a slow cooked soup made with gammon. it is a fatty recipe
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bacon
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (carrots, beans, cabbage celery, corn etc)
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs meat, fattish or 1 1⁄2 lbs ribs
- 4 beetroots, unpeeled and washed
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- boil everything together over a low heat for 2 1/3 to 3 hours.
- whenmeat is tender, take it out and put in potatoes and other vegetables and boil until tender.
- remove the gammon.
- meanwhile in another pot boil the beetroot, but keep the water.
- peel and dice beetroot and add to the vegetables, with the red water from the boiled beetroot.
- do not boil the bortsch after that, just heat it gently.
- cut the gammon into cubes and add to the woup.
- Before serving put the sour cream into a turret and pour the soup inches.