Recipe by E and C
Borscht is like chili; there's no one recipe for it. This recipe is somewhat unusual because it does not have cabbage; the addition of lime juice and sugar may also not be traditional. My mother did get it from a Russian coworker. It is the borscht I grew up with and I love it.
- 1 lb beef stew meat, cut into cubes (chuck or round)
- 12 cups chicken stock (and/or water) or 12 cups beef stock (and/or water)
- 6 large beets, tops removed
- 1 large onion, minced
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and seeded (canned works fine)
- 1 -2 lime, juice of
- 2 tablespoons sugar (I like less)
- salt and pepper
- to taste sour cream (and/or snipped chives for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the first five ingredients in a large non-reactive pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow the soup to simmer for 2= hours.
- Half an hour before serving, remove beets, keeping the broth at a simmer.
- When beets are cool enough to handle, peel and grate them (the peels should slip right off). Then return them to the pot. Stir in lime juice and sugar, then season with salt and pepper.
- Serve, garnished with a dollop of sour cream and/or some snipped chives.