Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the best borscht I have ever eaten. Double the recipe, because it freezes well.
Make and share this Borscht recipe from Food.com.
- 6 cups water
- 3⁄4 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper, divided
- 1⁄2 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium beet
- 1⁄2 cup canned peeled and diced tomato
- 3 potatoes, quartered
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned tomatoes
- 3 cups finely shredded cabbage, divided
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup diced potato
- 1 tablespoon dried dill weed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Place water, salt, carrots, 1/2 of the bell pepper, celery, beet, tomatoes, and quartered potatoes in a large stock pot over high heat. Bring to a boil.
- Melt 1/3 cup butter in a separate skillet over medium heat. Saute onions in butter until tender, approximately 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove 1/2 cup of sauce from skillet, and set aside. Stir half of the cabbage into the skillet with remaining sauce, and continue simmering 5 minutes more, or until tender.
- Remove beet from boiling liquid and discard. Remove potatoes with a slotted spoon or tongs, and place in a bowl with remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and the cream. Mash together until smooth.
- Return the 1/2 cup of reserved onion-tomato sauce to the stock pot. Stir in diced potatoes, and simmer until just tender but still firm, approximately 5 minutes. Increase heat to a low boil, and stir in remaining cabbage, tomato sauce, and mashed potatoes. Reduce heat and simmer a few minutes more. Stir in remaining bell pepper, season with black pepper, and serve.